Are you concerned about your child experiencing anxiety?
Being a parent of a child who experiences anxiety can be tough. It can affect day to day functioning and family life.
Why not take part in the Triple P ‘Fear Less
Reducing Anxiety in Children’ workshop
Call Donna on 01 – 8642941
or ask Olwen 😀
Free Courses for Parents November 2020
Our Home School Community Liaison (HSCL) Coordinator is Olwen May. Olwen has been a teacher in St. Brigid’s Infant School for many years. In her role as HSCL Coordinator she has been released from teaching duties and engages in full-time liaison work creating partnerships between the home, the school and the community.
Home visits are the cornerstone of the HSCL scheme. These visits help form bonds of trust between home and school and provides parents with an opportunity to discuss any issues or concerns in a familiar environment. The home visits are curtailed due to the public health restrictions this year, but Olwen still manages to keep in touch with all families.
The HSCL coordinator organises a variety of classes and courses for parents and family members throughout the school year. These classes generally take place in the Parents’ Room. Examples of courses that have run in previous years include the following: First Aid, Parents in Education, Seasons for Growth, Health and Beauty Therapy, Salsa dancing, Knitting and Crochet, Life Coaching and English language classes for parents. This year, there are many Zoom-based classes and seminars available which will be advertised on our website and school noticeboard.
Olwen hosts many special events promoting the active role of parents in their children’s learning e.g Maths Week in November, Grandparents Day in January, Family Storytime during Book Week in March. We will celebrate these special and events in a Covid-compliant way this school year.
Due to public health guidelines, there will be no school-based classes in the school this year and the Parents’ Room is temporarily closed.
If you would like to chat to Olwen you can meet her in the yard most mornings or contact her by text, Whatsapp or phone call on 086 370 5773.
The Home School Community Liaison Scheme
The goals of the liaison scheme are:
- To maximise active participation of the children in school.
- To promote active co-operation between home, school and relevant community agencies.
- To raise awareness in parents of their own abilities to enhance their children’s education and to assist them in developing relevant skills.
- To enhance the children’s uptake from education, their retention in the educational system, their continuation to post-compulsory education and to third level and their attitudes to life-long learning.
- To disseminate the positive outcomes of the scheme throughout the school system generally.